Monday 22 April 2013

Whanganui with one finger

Hey everyone,
Writing on a tablet screen with one finger so this will be short and full of text errors.

Shannon, our fearless blogger is without WiFi but in order to keep out parents calm I will post that we are all well and have enjoyed the last two days in Whanganui.

We arrived Sunday morning and despite the rain spent most of the day sight seeing.  I was really lucky that my last host Allen Kirk knew Kirk Beautrais, a teacher at a local Enviroschool and arranged for me to meet him on Sunday afternoon. School is out on break next week so it was my last chance to meet  about this and I knew I would have a lot to learn from the program. (Extra bonus points for an additional vocational on a Sunday David?).

The Enviroschools program is quite like EcoSchools in Ontario, where schools incorporate sustainability lessons, ethos, and infrastructure into their school and are recognized as either gold, silver or bronze.  I don't think there is a similar program in Alberta, yet. The projects are done by the student environmental council or through a class initiative and often involve the greater community. It works on the concept that Enviro Ed brings lessons alive and is an easy and relateable way for students to learn about all kinds of topics, not just science!
I really enjoyed meeting with Keith and our discussion not just about the program but also politics, sustainability, community,  marketing, hope, despair, and the future! Quite the talk! Big take home message: environmental education has to be IN, ABOUT and FOR the environment.



Today we all had vocational visits in the morning (I shadowed Sharon Duff at the Primary Health organisation and met with people about energy efficiency home programs and a heritage apple tree give away program). After lunch we went to the Ratana Marae and learned about the prophet Ratana and Maori Christianity.

Evening activity: our host and club president Kate Smith took Laura and I to her Scottish country dancing class! So much fun! My new mission in life is to have a Ceilidh barn dance back home!

Good night and happy earth day!

2 comments:

  1. Okay I will buy the coffee now. Great experience Nathalie. Let me know the date for the Ceilidh barn dance. The pipers, musicians, scotch will just appear like magic at the red barn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been very enjoyable reading your blog Nathalie, it sounds like you are have a great exchange! Looking forward to hearing more about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete