Tuesday 26 March 2013

Who We Are: Laura Polasek


I have been working for the Government of Alberta for 2 years.  I have held positions of Water Policy Analyst, Alternative and Renewable Energy Policy Analyst, and I currently work as a Project Manager with the Agri-Environmental Partnership of Alberta (AEPA).

AEPA is an inclusive multi-stakeholder partnership of govenment, industry and public stakeholders working together to proactively address agri-environmental issues from a policy perspective.  As a project manager, I work with a broad range of stakeholders interested in, and influenced by, agri-environmental policy in the province.  I work to help increase stakeholder’s knowledge about priority issues, with the goal being effective engagement for producers to ensure agriculture’s perspective is adequately considered in policy development. In the long term, I hope to continue to contribute to agri-environmental policy in Alberta and Canada.  My goal is to help ensure agriculture continues to exist as a sustainably managed activity on the landscape in a way that is both environmentally responsible and economically viable.

I live in Edmonton, the capital of Alberta.  I moved here in 2006 for school.  I attended the University of Alberta, where I received my Bachelor of Science in Environmental and Conservation Sciences.  I have lived in Edmonton since that time, expect for a year abroad in England, where I attended the University of Oxford and read for a Masters of Science in Environmental Policy.  Before moving to Edmonton I lived on my parent’s grain farm, located 500 km NW Edmonton, outside of Grande Prairie.  Most of my family still lives in the area and so I go home as often as I can to visit everyone (including the pets)!

I really enjoy music and dance.  I play a bit of piano and am currently learning the harp.  I also have taken lots of lessons in country-western and ballroom dancing.  In my free time I try to attend as many ballets, operas, and musical theatre productions as I can.  And when I am not doing that, I like to read a book, while drinking tea and cuddling my cat. 

Vocational Interests:
I am very interested in learning about many different aspects of agri-environmental policy in New Zealand.  Topics of interest include: nutrient management, urban food policy, climate change and footprinting work (carbon, land, water), irrigation and farm water management, and wetland management.  I would be interested in talking to people at all stages of the policy cycle on these issues including: politicians, policy analysts, producers, industry groups, and environmental non-government organizations.  Other areas of interest would be looking at best management practices related to agri-environmental management in the district, as well as collaborative process that the agriculture industry is engaged in.

Cultural Interests:
I would like to go whale watching if possible.  I would also be interested in seeing a volcano if there are any in the district.  I would like to see the All Blacks play a rugby game, I would love to see any Lord of the Rings, and The Hobbit tourist attractions, and I would love to visit a sheep farm.  I love sightseeing of any kind and am very excited to visit District 9940! I like sightseeing of any kind and am generally open to whatever you think is the best to see and do!

No comments:

Post a Comment