Tuesday 26 March 2013

Who We Are: Mary Drader, Team Leader


I have been working with my husband in our own business as Office Manager and
bookkeeper for 24 years. My main duties are running the one-person office
handling all aspects of the bookkeeping duties: Accounts Payable, Accounts
Receivable, Payroll, Invoicing, correspondence, job cost analysis and computer
maintenance.

During this time, I was also employed part-time for 6 years by the Pembina
Institute for Appropriate Development (an environmental think tank) as the
Account Receivable Administrator. My duties included all customer invoicing as well
as the maintaining of and training staff in the usage of a custom timesheet & billing
computer program for the 50+employees of the nation-wide company. I was the
liaison person with the software company who developed our program and was also
the liaison with our personal network IT technician.

Prior to that I was a sales representative in the building materials industry for 12
years, traveling throughout central Alberta.

I am married to Terry, who is a general contractor extraordinaire, a journeyman
welder, and is the best builder I know. He is also a Rotarian and is a Past District
Governor for our District 5370. We have a blended family consisting of 6 children, 4
of Terry’s; David 35, Erin 33, Mark 30, Mathew 28 and 2 of mine; Meghan 32, Paul
28. As well, we have been blessed with 4 beautiful grandchildren; Kieran 12, Julian
6, Claire 5 and Madison 1. Terry and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary in May of
2012.

I live in Drayton Valley, a town of about 7,000 people, with a trading population of
approximately 20,000. It is situated about 150 km south-west of Edmonton which
is the capital city of Alberta. We are 3 hours north of Calgary, the other major city
in Alberta. The main industries in Drayton Valley are oil, forestry and agriculture.
I am a charter member of the Rotary Club of Drayton Valley and have been a
Rotarian for 17 years. I have served as President, Treasurer and am currently the
Foundation Committee Chair. I have served on the International Services
Committee, the Youth Exchange Committee, the Community Services Committee
and have chaired several fundraising projects.

I am active in the local Anglican Church and am a keen supporter of the local
Performing Arts Festival. I am an avid reader and I love music and dancing, playing
card games and crocheting or knitting. I am attempting to learn Spanish through an
online program with minimal success.

My passion for Rotary and for travel led me to apply for the Team Leader’s role of
this GSE Team. I also have a passion for sharing Rotary with others, especially
younger people and this program is an ideal format for accomplishing that.

My husband and I had the pleasure of touring New Zealand (north and south
islands) for one month in 2003 and I am very excited to see this beautiful country
once again.

Vocational Interests:
I am very flexible in this area. One area of interest would be in viewing the
accounting office of a construction company or visiting a building materials
manufacturing plant. I would be very interested in viewing projects that the D9940
clubs have and especially would be interested in getting involved hands-on with a
project during our visit.

Cultural Interests:
I would be very interested in sailing if possible, visiting a Maori heritage village,
experiencing local cultural music festivals and getting to know the Rotarians of
D9940. I would also be interested in visiting a sheep ranch and watch the shearing
process and visiting a wool factory to see how it is processed. I am a HUGE fan of
Peter Jackson’s work – Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit so would love to visit the
Weta Cave and/or the Weta Workshop. Lastly, I would love to see the All Blacks
playing Rugby if the season is underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment