Tuesday 26 March 2013

Who We Are: Shannon Boyer


My name is Shannon, and I am very excited to be embarking upon this new adventure. I have spent time in Australia and Fiji, but my best friend and my sister in law both tell me that if they could live anywhere in the world, it would be New Zealand, so my expectations are high!

Since becoming a teacher about ten years ago, I have had a number of interesting career-related opportunities.  Immediately after graduating from university, I went to England to teach a Year 5 class for a year.  After returning to Canada, I began working at a non-profit organization that worked with newcomers to Canada.  I was an English language assessor and education counselor there for three years.  At the same time, I was teaching adults English as a Second language in the evenings. 

For the past seven years, I have worked at a local community college teaching English and math to ESL literacy youth between the ages of 17 and 25.  This is a program that I proposed, designed, and developed.  In addition to teaching, I do curriculum development and program planning.

In the evenings, I am involved with my community league as well as working towards getting my masters degree in education with a specialization in language and literacy, and more specifically, reading.

Personally, I have been with my very supportive husband for the past thirteen years, and we live together in a beautiful Edmonton neighbourhood, which is within walking/biking distance to work.  Unfortunately, the rest of my family does not live nearby.  My parents live about two and a half kilometres south of Edmonton, and my brother, sister-in-law, and identical twin nieces live another two hours south of my parents.  Every time there is a long weekend, I am undoubtedly driving somewhere to visit my little nieces!

Professionally, I am really interested in learning as much as I can about the Tertiary education system, primarily adult literacy education and literacy education for youth over eighteen years of age.  I would really like to visit the college where Jane, the team lead for the Canada VTT, works. I am more interested in programs offered in polytechnics than in non-profits.  I am also very interested in visiting classes with students, so I would prefer to visit schools when they are in session.  I would also really like to visit a Wananga and learn more about the preservation of indigenous languages and culture.  In essence, I want to learn more about how the needs of low literacy adults are being met, and I am especially interested in innovative programs.

Culturally, I would LOVE to see an All Blacks game, and I have been told that the glowworms are not to be missed.  I’m a big foodie and love to cook.  I also am interested in gardening and local food production.  I like sightseeing of any kind and am generally open to whatever you think is the best to see and do!

No comments:

Post a Comment